Board Approves 2009-2010 Calendar
December 16, 2008
During the December school board meeting, the board approved the calendar for the 2009-2010 school year.
Earlier this month, two calendar options for next year were submitted for consideration. Employees, students, parents, and community members were given the opportunity to vote on the calendar of their choice and to submit comments about the options. After reviewing the outcome of the voting and comments from the voters as well as hearing concerns from board trustees, SAISD administration submitted a modified calendar to the school board for approval. The modified calendar combines features from the two options previously submitted. The modified calendar was unanimously approved by school board trustees Monday night.
Highlights of the new calendar include:
- The first day of classes for students will be August 24
- Teachers will begin the school year on August 12 with professional days, campus planning, and grade level/department planning.
- Holidays will include Labor Day, three days during the week of Thanksgiving, two weeks at Christmas, Martin Luther King Day, and Good Friday.
- Spring Break is scheduled March 15 - 19 .
- If bad weather days are not needed, they will be taken on February 15 and May 29.
- The last day of school will be May 28.
- Graduation will be held on Saturday, May 29.