T: (325)947-3838 x718
The State of Texas is facing a major educational challenge-a growing shortage of qualified teachers. Whether you are a recent college graduate, a mid-career changer, a teacher from another state/country, or someone who does not yet have a college degree, the information below outlines how to become a teacher in Texas.
How to become a teacher in Texas
What are the basic requirements for becoming a teacher in Texas?
- You must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university. Texas institutions do not offer a degree in education. Every teacher must have an academic major, as well as teacher training courses. The only exemption from the degree requirement is for individuals seeking Career and Technology certification to teach certain courses, such as welding or computer-aided drafting.
- You must complete teacher training through an approved program. These programs are offered through colleges and universities, school districts, regional service centers, community colleges, and other entities.
- You must successfully complete the appropriate teacher certification tests for the subject and grade level you wish to teach. For a list of the certification tests and information on which tests are required, click here.
How do you choose the teacher training program that is best for you?
- Programs for those who do not yet have a college degree. Colleges and universities offer programs for training teachers. You will receive a degree in an academic major, as well as the training you would need to be an effective teacher. For a list of colleges and universities that offer teacher training as part of an undergraduate degree program, click here.
- Programs for those who already have a college degree (post- baccalaureate programs). These programs, which include accelerated routes into teaching, offer training on how to be an effective teacher, as well as additional courses you might need in the subject area you wish to teach. Many of these programs can be completed in a year, during which time you may have a paid teaching position in a public school classroom. For a list of these programs, click here.
If I am certified in another state or country, how do I become certified in Texas?
- Teachers from other states or countries
who hold acceptable credentials from their home state or
country can gain certification in Texas by passing the appropriate
Texas certification tests. For more information,
- Some out-of-state teachers can gain certification in Texas based on the certification tests they took in another state, if SBEC has found those tests to be similar to and at least as rigorous as equivalent Texas tests. SBEC began the process of reviewing other state's tests in fall 2001. For an overview of this review process and a list of the out-of-state tests reviewed to date, click here.
Click the link below for information from the Texas Edeucation Agency about how to become a teacher in Texas and much more.