Gifted and Talented Program
Advanced Academic Specialist
T: (325) 947-3838 x726
It is the intention of the San Angelo Independent School District to provide a program of quality, equity and accountability for academically talented students in compliance with state and local requirements.
The Gifted and Talented (GT) Program of the San Angelo ISD is designed to meet the needs of those students who are identified as having superior intellectual abilities or potential for outstanding academic achievement. It is acknowledged that these children are found in all races, socioeconomic groups, and at all levels of society.
The school district must meet these students’ unique needs and prepare them to deal with the challenges of a rapidly changing society. It is the philosophy of the San Angelo Independent School District to provide opportunity within the educational program for each individual to develop to the fullest of his/her capacity.
According to Section 29.123 of the Texas Education Code, the Texas State Plan for the Education of Gifted/Talented Students forms the basis of program accountability for state mandated services for gifted/talented students. The plan is developed to be compatible with Texas accountability system. The overall state goal for services is stated as follows:
Students who participate in services designed for gifted students will demonstrate skills in self-directed learning, thinking, research, and communication as evidenced by the development of innovative products and performances that reflect individuality and creativity and are advanced in relation to students of similar age, experience, or environment. High school graduates who have participated in services for gifted students will have produced products and performances of professional quality as part of their program services.
The San Angelo ISD district goals for the Gifted and Talented Program reflect the specific areas of accountability required in the Texas State Plan for the Education of Gifted/Talented Students:
- Provide an assessment process designed to measure diverse abilities and intelligences and give students an opportunity to demonstrate talents and strengths.
- Reinforce the strengths, needs, and interests of gifted and talented students by providing a continuum of learning options throughout the district.
- The depth, complexity and pacing of the general school program will be modified to meet the needs of gifted learners.
- Personnel involved in the planning, development, and delivery of services to gifted students will have the knowledge and skills to enable them to offer appropriate options and curricula to meet student needs.
- San Angelo ISD will encourage community and family participation in services designed for gifted and talented learners.