310 E. Washington
San Angelo, TX 76903
Established in 1867 along the banks of the Concho River, Fort Concho was built to protect frontier settlements, patrol and map the vast West Texas region, and quell hostile threats in the area. At full strength Fort Concho supported 400-500 men made up of companies of infantry and troops of cavalry, staff officers and support personnel. In June 1889 the last soldiers marched away from Fort Concho and the fort was deactivated. Then in 1907, the original Fort Concho Elementary School was built in the middle of the Parade Grounds.
The present facility was built in 1987 and sits on the property of the Fort Concho National Historic Landmark. The school library is now housed in the restored structure that was originally the post hospital. More than 475 students and 40 faculty and staff call the school "home". With the prime location of the school, students are not only within walking distance of the fort but also the Art Museum, River Stage, Concho River, Farmer's Market, and Celebration Bridge.Campus website Facebook Page
Grade Level(s): K - 5
School Hours: 7:30am - 3:00pm