Archived Meeting Minutes
Prepared by Jamie Highsmith, Public Information
December 17, 2002
The meeting was called to order by President Julia Stout. The invocation was given by Mr. Tim Archer.
Pledge of Allegiance and Presentation of Colors:
Lincoln Junior High School Student Council - Jose Carranco, Blayne Harris, Haley Hill, and Michelle Ruiz; directed by Sandy Harris
- Consider Approval of Minutes for the Regular Meeting of November 19, 2002, and Special Meeting of November 25, 2002--APPROVED
- Consider Approval of Bills and Accounts and Financial Statements for November, 2002--APPROVED
- Public Comment-None at this point in the meeting
- Athletic Advisory Committee Report-presented by Rex Scofield. The committee is studying the 9th grade participation rule, an extracurricular code of conduct, sports manuals for high school athletics, and improved communication.
- Report on an Organizational Change Within the Athletic Department-presented by Rex Scofield. The department is proposing that the new head football coaches be named athletic coordinators on their campuses.
- Public comment was given by Randy Rector, Carlos de la Rosa, and Max Parker.
- Instructional Initiatives to Improve Grades K-3 Reading Achieve-ment in San Angelo ISD-presented by Judy Knight.
- Membership - 17th Monday of School, December 9, 2002
- 2002-2003 Second Six Weeks Average Daily Attendance
- 2003-2004 Elective Courses-the following high school courses will be deleted from the course catalog: creative writing, humanities, public speaking, German 1, aerobics, business computer programming, business communications, introduction to business, entrepreneurship and business ownership, business law, driver's ed, and teen leadership.
CONSENT AGENDA-ALL ITEMS APPROVED
- Consider Approval of the Quarterly Investment Report ending November 30, 2002
- Consider Approval of Donations
- Donation of a computer from Byron McNeill for Austin Elementary School ($699.00)
- Cash donation from Roland C. Schlagel for the Fort Concho 5th grade teachers to be used to purchase science supplies ($1,000.00)
- Cash donation from Wal-Mart (North) for Glenn Junior High Theatre Arts ($400.00)
- Consider Approval of District Employment Recommendation for School Year 2002-2003
- Consider Affirming by Board Vote the Administration's Recommendation to Return to the Traditional Seven Period Schedule for Fall 2003-2004-Attorney Kelli Karczewski addressed the board to state that the superintendent has sole authority for instruction and the administration of the instruction, which includes decisions about the type of schedule our schools will follow. The purpose of a vote would only be to support the decision. APPROVED.
- Public comment was given by Pam Stewart.
- Consider Approval of Guaranteed Maximum Price for the Increase of Student Capacity of the Southwest Project to Accommodate 750 Students-APPROVED.
- Consider Approval of Synthetic Turf Proposal for San Angelo Stadium-Stormy Kimrey represented community leaders in making a request for turf and pledging community support for matching funds. The board voted to seek bids on the cost of installing the turf.
- Consider Approval of the Use of Fund Balance for Capital Expenditures-Option 1 was APPROVED, which allocates $300,000 toward the synthetic turf.
- Consider Approval of 2003-2004 San Angelo ISD School Calendar-over 13,000 people voted. Calendar #3 received the most votes and will require a waiver due to the start date being prior to the date set by the legislature. APPROVED.
- Public comment was given by Clarissa Darby.
- Consider Approval of Correction in
Board Policy EIC (Local)
- AP courses and college credits will earn +15 points per semester when figured into grade point averages;
- Pre-AP courses will earn +10 when figured into grade point averages. APPROVED.
- Consider Approval of Request for the Modified Schedule/ TAKS Testing Day Waiver-APPROVED
- Consider Approval of Adopting a Resolution Supporting the Fort Concho Board of Directors Pursuit of a Feasibility Study for the Reconstruction of the Post Surgeon's Quarters-APPROVED
- Consider Approval of Board Committee Assignments to the Finance/Facilities Committee-Tim Archer will chair the committee with Lanny Layman and Terry Bader serving as committee members. APPROVED.
- Consider Action Resulting from Consultation with Attorney (Govt. Code 551.071)--NONE
The board adjourned to Closed or Executive Session in accordance with:
551.071 Texas Government Code for
- Discussion with attorney regarding pending or threatened litigation (551.074 Texas Government Code)
- Discussion of employee discipline, duties, resignations, reassignments, and new hires
- Evaluation of the Superintendent of Schools
January 9, 2003 (Thursday) - 5:30 p.m.
Board Finance/Facilities Committee Meeting - SAISD Board Room
January 21, 2003 (Tuesday) - 5:30 p.m.
Regular Board Meeting - SAISD Board Room