We are happily growing hopes and dreams for some of our youngest learners in the community with our Prekindergarten (Pre-K) Program for eligible children 4 years old (on or by September 1st). At San Angelo ISD, we recognize the sights, sounds, curiosity, and physical activity that children experience before the age of five contributes greatly to the child’s brain development, and our program is designed with this in mind.
Our Pre-K Program is a full-day program. To learn more about how we provide your child with a relevant and inspiring education from an early age, keep reading on this webpage or call our Curriculum and Instruction Department at (325) 947-3838.
SAISD is pleased to welcome Pre-K students to start their journey with SAISD. Pre-K classes are taught by our caring educators, and the program is designed to provide your child with skills in listening, speaking, reading and writing.
We also offer a unique Bilingual Pre-K Program for bilingual Spanish-speaking pre-k students where children receive instruction in the student’s first language to become proficient in listening, speaking, reading and writing in both English and Spanish.
For more information on the Pre-K Program, contact:
Curriculum & Instruction Secretary
(325) 947-3838 x770
For more information on the Bilingual Program, contact:
Director of Emergent Bilingual
T: (325)947-3838 x798
Who Can Attend the Pre-K Program?
San Angelo ISD offers both a free, eligibility-based Pre-K and a limited capacity, tuition-based Pre-K for students living within the San Angelo ISD attendance boundaries.
Pre-K Campus Locations
Pre-K Hours and Calendar
7:35 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
The Pre-K Program follows the District Calendar. To view the calendar, click here.
How to Register
Space is limited, so register today to reserve your child’s spot for the upcoming school year. To register your child for the Pre-K Program or Bilingual Pre-K Program, you will need to complete a “New Student Registration Form” online at www.saisd.org/register. Registration can be completed from any web browser or smartphone. Please ensure you have the proper language selected when entering your student’s information in the “New Student Registration Form”. This helps SAISD to communicate with you through your native or preferred language.
When registering, parents should be prepared to upload the following items:
- Child's official birth certificate (Click here to order a Texas birth certificate online)
- Social Security card (will not prevent from completing registration process) (Click here to order a replacement social security card)
- DOD Identification (Military ID or orders)
- Immunization record (must be up-to-date) (Click here for a list of required immunizations)
- Proof of address/residence within the district (contract on house, lease agreement, actual title to house, current SAISD tax statement, or current utility bill (electric, water, or gas bill) indicating the address in the parent/guardian’s name); Proof of address (electric, water, or gas bill)
- Proof of current income (last pay stub of guardians in the home OR *SNAP/TANF/ EDG# ) We are still awaiting guidance from TEA as to income eligibility levels, but for reference the NSLP income eligibility guidelines for free and reduced-price benefits may be similar and are available here. Levels are subject to change for the current year and are expected to be released by TEA in July.
Documents required to complete registration can be digitally uploaded in PDF, JPEG, and other standard file formats.
SAISD PRE-K CURRICULUM
The SAISD Prekindergarten Curriculum is based on the Texas Education Agency’s Prekindergarten Guidelines and aligned to the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills. SAISD Prekindergarten also incorporates a supplemental curriculum, “Frog Street”, to enhance the curriculum already in place.
The importance of early learning is clear. Studies prove that children who have rich early learning experiences are better prepared to thrive in Kindergarten and beyond. It is the goal of San Angelo ISD to offer high quality learning opportunities that aim to ensure children leave preschool ready for success in Kindergarten.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who can attend Pre-K?
- Why does my child have to qualify for free Pre-K?
- May a child who is five years old on September 1 be enrolled in Pre-K?
- Can students living out of district request an out-of-district transfer to attend Pre-K in SAISD?
- Is there a specific process for parents of students with special needs to enroll in Pre-K?