We are happily growing hopes and dreams for some of our youngest learners in the community with our Prekindergarten (Pre-K) Program for eligible children 4 years old (on or by September 1st). At San Angelo ISD, we recognize the sights, sounds, curiosity, and physical activity that children experience before the age of five contributes greatly to the child’s brain development, and our program is designed with this in mind.
Our Pre-K Program is a free, full-day program for children who are eligible. The eligibility criteria is listed below, set by the Texas Education Agency (TEA). To learn more about how we provide your child with a relevant and inspiring education from an early age, keep reading on this webpage or call our Curriculum and Instruction Department at (325) 947-3838.
SAISD is pleased to welcome eligible Pre-K students to start their journey with SAISD. Pre-K classes are taught by our caring educators, and the program is designed to provide your child with skills in listening, speaking, reading and writing.
We also offer a unique Bilingual Pre-K Program for bilingual Spanish-speaking pre-k students where children receive instruction in the student’s first language to become proficient in listening, speaking, reading and writing in both English and Spanish. For more information on the Bilingual Pre-K Program, contact the SAISD Director of Bilingual & English Language Learners, Christy Diego (habla espanol) by email to email@example.com or by phone at (325) 947-3838 extension 798. At this time, San Angelo ISD does not offer a tuition-based pre-k program for students not meeting the TEA eligibility criteria.
If your child meets one of the TEA Pre-K qualifiers, you are eligible to register for free, full-day, Pre-K with SAISD. If your child does not meet one of the TEA Pre-K qualifiers, then they can enroll with SAISD starting in kindergarten (when students are 5 years old on or by September 1st).
Eligible Student Requirements
- Child must be 4 years of age on or before September 1; and
- Child must be a resident of SAISD; and
- Child must be current with required immunizations; and
- Child must meet at least one of the following six requirements:
- Child is unable to speak and comprehend the English Language (child will be evaluated by contacting SAISD Director of Bilingual & English Language Learners Christy Diego (habla espanol) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (325) 947-3838 extension 798; or
- Child is homeless, or
- Child is educationally disadvantaged, meaning eligible to participate in the free or reduced-price lunch program, as determined by one of the following:
- Proof of income (paycheck stub); or
- Current food stamp (SNAP) or TANF eligibility letter with date and EDG#; or
- Some types of Medicaid eligibility, as designated by the National School Lunch Program (SAISD will determine eligibility based on EDG#)
- Employer Income Verification (EIV), or
- Child has a parent serving on active duty in the armed forces, including a child of a member injured or killed on active duty as determined by one of the following:
- Department of Defense photo ID; or
- Letter from the military showing Statement of Service, Purple Heart citation, MIA, Line of Duty Determination, Certificate of Death; or
- VA benefits letter stating injury occurred while serving on active duty; or
- Child is or ever has ever been in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) following an adversary hearing held as determined by the following:
- Form 2085-Foster Care; or
- Court Adoption papers as a result of DFPS custody; or
- Proof of DFPS conservatorship (including children returned to parents after hearing)
- Child has a parent who is eligible for the Star of Texas Award, which honors Texas peace officers, firefighters, emergency medical first responders, and federal law enforcement officers who are seriously injured or killed in the line of duty.
If a student is eligible for enrollment when the child begins pre-k, they remain eligible for the school year. Parents/Legal Guardians will be required to provide documentation to verify eligibility at registration. For more information on eligibility, click here.
While our Pre-K Program is available to all qualifying students, classes are only offered at the following eight campuses:
|Alta Loma Elementary||1700 Garfield St.||325-947-3914|
|Austin Elementary||700 North Van Buren||325-659-3636|
|Belaire Elementary||700 Stephen||325-659-3639|
|Bradford Elementary||2302 Bradford St.||325-659-3645|
|Fannin Elementary||1702 Wilson St.||325-947-3930|
|Glenmore Elementary||323 Penrose St.||325-659-3657|
|McGill Elementary||201 Millspaugh St.||325-947-3934|
|Reagan Elementary||1600 Volney St.||325-659-3666|
The Bilingual (Spanish) Pre-K program is currently only offered at the Bradford and Glenmore Elementary campuses.
If available, students will be placed at your child’s home campus (the campus serving your elementary school zone). To determine your child's home campus, click here to view attendance zones or enter your address into our Infofinder system. Students residing in attendance zones for elementary schools without a Pre-K Program can attend the Pre-K Program at their feeder campus. Pre-K feeder campuses are listed below.
|Attendance Zone/Feeder Schools||Assigned Campus|
|Crockett||2104 Johnson||947-3925||Austin Elementary|
|Santa Rita||615 S. Madison||659-3672||Austin Elementary|
|Goliad||120 E. 39th Street||659-3660||Austin Elementary|
|San Jacinto||800 Spaulding||659-3675||Belaire Elementary|
|Holiman||1900 Ricks Dr.||659-3663||Glenmore Elementary|
|Fort Concho||310 E. Washington||659-3654||Glenmore Elementary|
|Bonham||4630 Southland||947-3917||McGill Elementary|
|Bowie||3700 Forest Trail||947-3921||McGill Elementary|
|Lamar||3444 School House Rd.||947-3900||McGill Elementary|
7:35 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
The Pre-K Program follows the District Calendar. To view the calendar, click here.
Space is limited, so register today to reserve your child’s spot for the upcoming school year. To register your child for the Pre-K Program or Bilingual Pre-K Program, you will need to complete a “New Student Registration Form” online at www.saisd.org/register. Registration can be completed from any web browser or smartphone. Please ensure you have the proper language selected when entering your student’s information in the “New Student Registration Form”. This helps SAISD to communicate with you through your native or preferred language.
When registering, parents should be prepared to upload the following items:
- Child's official birth certificate (Click here to order a Texas birth certificate online)
- Social Security card (will not prevent from completing registration process) (Click here to order a replacement social security card)
- DOD Identification (Military ID or orders)
- Immunization record (must be up-to-date) (Click here for a list of required immunizations)
- Proof of address/residence within the district (contract on house, lease agreement, actual title to house, current SAISD tax statement, or current utility bill (electric, water, or gas bill) indicating the address in the parent/guardian’s name); Proof of address (electric, water, or gas bill)
- Proof of current income (last pay stub of guardians in the home OR *SNAP/TANF/ EDG# ) We are still awaiting guidance from TEA as to income eligibility levels, but for reference the NSLP income eligibility guidelines for free and reduced-price benefits may be similar and are available here. Levels are subject to change for the current year and are expected to be released by TEA in July.
Documents required to complete registration can be digitally uploaded in PDF, JPEG, and other standard file formats.
The SAISD Prekindergarten Curriculum is based on the Texas Education Agency’s Prekindergarten Guidelines and aligned to the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills. SAISD Prekindergarten also incorporates a supplemental curriculum, “Frog Street”, to enhance the curriculum already in place.
The importance of early learning is clear. Studies prove that children who have rich early learning experiences are better prepared to thrive in Kindergarten and beyond. It is the goal of San Angelo ISD to offer high quality learning opportunities that aim to ensure children leave preschool ready for success in Kindergarten.