State Mandated Screenings
San Angelo ISD addresses state mandated screening procedures by conducting screens for vision, hearing, spinal (scoliosis and kyphosis) and Acanthosis Nigricans (AN).
Vision and Hearing Screening
- Any student referred by a teacher, principal, parent and physician.
- Students referred by Special Education and 504
- All students in Pre-K, Kindergarten, 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th grades.
- All students new to the state of Texas.
If a child requires prescription eyewear or hearing aids, please be sure they have these prior to screening dates.
- Girls will be screened two times, at age 10 and 12 (or fall semester of 5th grade and fall semester of 7th grade)
- Boys will be screened one time at age 13 or 14 (or fall semester of 8th grade)
Acanthosis Nigricans Screening
Acanthosis Nigricans (AN) serves as an indicator of risk for Type 2 diabetes and other chronic health problems. All students in the 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th grades are screened for acanthosis nigricans.
Parents may exclude their child from the screening by providing the school in advance with the results of the screening done by a medical doctor. Parents may also exclude their child out for religious reasons. The religious affiliation of which the student attends is required to submit a notarized letter stating this screening is against their belief.