On Monday, December 14, 2020, the San Angelo ISD Board of Trustees voted 5 to 2 in favor of changing the name of Lee Middle School to Lone Star Middle School.
Engaging Equity Plan - Lee Middle School Name Retention or Renaming
SAISD will engage in a collaborative process that respects community ideals and represents a united effort that values trust and inclusivity, while inspiring student greatness.
To our students, families, staff, alumni and greater community, we want to update you on the collaborative plan called Engaging Equity by SAISD and our Board of Trustees to thoughtfully consider the retention of the existing name or renaming of Lee Middle School. At the heart of the matter, we are focused on respecting community ideals while embracing inclusivity and equity for our students. We understand this is a sensitive topic that members of our community care deeply about, so this plan provides an intentional, thorough process to allow us to hear from the varied perspectives and unique voices in our community. The process will include Summits and survey opportunities open to all interested persons for broad input as well as other events designed for groups particularly impacted by the matter.
We appreciate feedback and participation from our community in this process, but request a tone of mutual respect by all. Together, we will navigate through this process to a positive outcome for our students, district and community.
Calendar of Events
- August 4: virtual Focus Groups
- August 6 (11am-1pm and 6pm-8pm): virtual Summits open to the public*
- August 26-September 14: online survey open to the public
- September 1: virtual Focus Groups
- September 15 (11am-1pm and 6pm-8pm): in-person Summits open to the public at West Texas Rehab Conference Center at 1925 University Ave., San Angelo, TX 76904
- October 8: Advisory Council Design Team reviews the data to determine next steps
- October 19: proposal on retention or renaming action taken to the Board of Trustees for consideration
- November 9: Proposed names should be submitted in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to November 9 Pre-Agenda Workshop Meeting for review by the School Board
- November 16: School Board will select a name at the November Regular School Board Meeting
- December 14: School Board will finalize the name selection at the December Regular School Board Meeting.
All Summits and focus groups will be led by Dr. Luz Martinez and Dr. Dawson Orr. Events will include the capability to engage in both English and Spanish language.
Dr. Martinez is a bilingual educator with over 30 years of experience including three principal positions at economically disadvantaged, minority-serving high schools. Dr. Orr’s professional experience in education spans 40 years. He previously served as superintendent in Pampa ISD, Wichita Falls ISD and Highland Park ISD, and is now a college professor.
The Engaging Equity plan remains subject to change. Updates will be posted here and on our Facebook page.
*For virtual Summits, community members will be provided a link to enter the meeting from their devices. Details on how to participate will be announced at a later date. We want to do our part to keep the people of San Angelo healthy, out of the hospital, and reduce future business closures that could significantly impact our community. For this reason, we plan to conduct our summits virtually for the public as we are working closely with local healthcare officials to ensure we promote public health and safety.
Engaging Equity Updates
On Monday, October 19, San Angelo ISD school board trustees voted 6-1 to retire the name of Lee Middle School. San Angelo ISD will now follow school board policy CW local to rename the school.
On Tuesday, September 15, 2020, San Angelo ISD will hold two in-person summit sessions as a part of the Engaging Equity process in consideration of the retention or renaming of Lee Middle School. These sessions are open to the public and will include a morning session from 11 am - 1 pm and an evening session from 6 pm - 8 pm.
The online survey for the San Angelo ISD Engaging Equity retention or renaming process is now open for participation.
On Thursday, August 6, 2020, San Angelo ISD will hold two virtual summit sessions as part of the Engaging Equity process and in consideration of the retention or renaming of Lee Middle School.