San Angelo ISD joined with community partners to celebrate reading by hosting a San Angelo READS! Summer Book Patrol Pop Up Event at Goliad Elementary last Thursday, July 21, 2022 with over 350 attendees coming out to enjoy the summer fun.
“We loved creating this opportunity to connect with our students and families during the summer months, and to continue to inspire a love of reading,” said Executive Director of Communications Whitney Watson Wood. “From giving away books to doing book readings for children by community leaders to showcasing our STEM for playful learning, it was a wonderful day.”
The event was filled with various activities and fun for families including:
- delicious, free shaved ice snow cones generously provided by Kona Ice of San Angelo,
- book giveaways by Junior League of San Angelo;
- police patrol vehicle exploration by San Angelo Police Department also handing out stickers, coloring books and coupons,
- photo booth fun and goodie giveaway by HEB with mascot H-E-Buddy and friend, Layla the Unicorn,
- Scholastic Education book giveaways with mascot friend Clifford the Big Red Dog,
- Atmos Energy informative fun with mascots Gus the Gopher and Rosie the Skunk,
- Ballet San Angelo read aloud of Rumplestiltskin enhanced with ballet performances,
- Teacher Store of San Angelo providing books for giveaway,
- SAISD Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) activities led by SAISD representatives,
- Lake View High School Mariachi playing beautiful music,
- Central High School Cheerleaders leading cheers and helping with an interactive bubble station,
- Whataburger snacks and goodies,
- 1st Community Federal Credit Union with information and goodies,
- Concho Educators Federal Credit Union with information, bottled waters and bubbles,
- 94.7 KIXY FM with Hacker Morning Show DJ Tommy the Hacker live on-site, and
- help with back-to-school enrollment for the upcoming school year by SAISD representatives, including ability to use SAISD computers and have Spanish-language assistance and document scanning assistance.
SAISD extends a very special thank you to each of these wonderful organizations for their support of our San Angelo community, students and San Angelo READS!
Our Summer Book Patrol fun doesn’t stop here! You can join us in inspiring a love of reading by nominating a child in our community to receive free books through our nomination form through this Wednesday, July 27, 2022.
Follow the San Angelo ISD Facebook, Twitter, and website, www.saisd.org/read, to stay up-to-date on San Angelo READS! and the Summer Book Patrol! Community members are encouraged to share how they celebrate reading all summer long through the hashtag, #SAISDReads.
San Angelo READS!
The San Angelo Reads! community-wide literacy initiative was founded by the District in 2020 to promote and encourage reading and the SAISD future-ready learner profile attributes among SAISD students and the greater San Angelo community. The goal of the literacy initiative is to increase awareness of the importance of literacy and to inspire a love for reading. This exciting initiative is driven by statistics which show how vitally important literacy is to providing all students with the opportunities to succeed at a young age. Children and teenagers who read for pleasure on a daily or weekly basis score better on reading and writing tests than infrequent or non-readers.
SAISD kicked off San Angelo READS! on December 9, 2020 with the first annual San Angelo Reads! Day, a day when literacy was celebrated at every SAISD elementary campus with literacy fun like read-ins, unveiling book vending machines and a gift of a book to all SAISD 3rd graders compliments of the San Angelo Area Foundation. SAISD is focused on building literacy skills that create students who are prepared for future successes, inside and outside the classroom and beyond their time in our hallways.