San Angelo ISD teachers, staff, and administrators gathered the evening of Thursday, April 28th at the San Angelo Stadium for a district-wide, outdoor celebration of the accomplishments of the 2020-2021 school year, and honored staff for their service and contributions to the district.
“We are so proud of each and every one of our San Angelo ISD team members that enabled us to open our doors on time for our students in August and remain open throughout this unique school year,” said Dr. Carl Dethloff, Superintendent of SAISD during the ceremony. “Our classrooms and schools remained one of the safest places in our city during the pandemic, and we emerged stronger than before due to the efforts of these outstanding educators. Opening schools allowed our families, first responders, and healthcare workers to remain on the job and provided our students optimal learning opportunities. I applaud and celebrate the adaptability of our staff. Our people truly make the difference.”
The celebration included a recognition of employees for milestone years of service. Service pins were awarded for 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 25, and 40 years of continuous service to San Angelo ISD.
Retiring staff members were also honored during the event. Retirees received either a certificate, a clock, or a watch depending on their years of service to the district. Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources and Professional Learning, Dr. Farrah Gomez, stated that these staff members represented over 786 years of service to San Angelo ISD and 1,092 years of service to public education. Thank you for your commitment to the students of San Angelo and congratulations on your next chapter.
Recognition of other special awards were given during the event including individual campus Teachers of the Year and overall district Elementary and Secondary Teachers of the Year, Substitute Teachers of the Year, Instructional Support Employees of the Year, and Support Employees of the Year such as Custodial, Maintenance, and Transportation. This year we added a new category to our employee recognitions, New to Profession Employee of the Year, which recognizes any employee as having been an exceptional contributor to their team. These employees have zero years of service prior to this year and include staff from all job families and positions. We are proud and honored by the service of all of this year's special award recipients. Congratulations to all of our special award recipients listed below:
- Secondary Teacher of the Year: Sylvia Graves, Sam Houston
- Elementary Teacher of the Year Lena Rivera, Fort Concho Elementary
- Instructional Support Employee of the Year: Emily Bush, the Library Paraprofessional at Holiman Elementary
- Non-Instructional Support Employee of the Year: Catherine Dickson, Principal’s Secretary at Bradford Elementary
- Child Nutrition Employee of the Year: Cindy Gilbert, Child Nutrition Manager at Central High School
- Custodial Employee of the Year: Armandina Gutierrez, Custodian at Sam Houston, PAYS, and Alta Loma Elementary
- Maintenance & Grounds Employee of the Year: Ira Routt, Painter
- Transportation Employee of the Year: Eric Perez, Diesel Mechanic
- New to the Profession Employee of the Year: Elizabeth Horton, 6th Grade Math Teacher at Lincoln Middle School
- High School Substitute Teacher of the Year: Elizabeth Herndanez
- Middle School Substitute Teacher of the Year: Garrett Conaway
- Elementary School Substitute Teacher of the Year: Nancy Hooker
Other highlights of the ceremony included a presentation of colors by ROTC instructors and students, pledges and National Anthem led by SAISD staff members and the staff choir, and end-of-year videos highlighting photos of students and staff from the school year.